Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Who AM I?









When Neo re-enters the matrix for the first time after he had been freed, on the way to see the oracle for the first time, he has the following dialogue with Trinity.

Neo: I have these memories from my life. None of them happened. What does that mean?
Trinity: That the Matrix cannot tell you who you are.

Similarly, when we take a closer look into our own experiences and see that all we can use as references to support our notion of existence, are only processes of relationship and interactions based by the stimuli from the environment perceived by our senses, we can see that none of them present inherent existence.

And as we saw, all the things we interact with are co-emergent with our own way of seeing them, we don't establish a connection with their substratum but with what we add to them in terms of meaning, to the dimensions we add to them.

Therefore, the questions that arise in our minds are: Who am I? Is there anything unchangeable, solid, permanent, in my experience of "I"? Can all those things I perceive with my senses tell me about my identity? Are they the definers of my identity, my ego?


More to come!

Cris

No comments: